Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Eat your words

Living with a partner who loves design has its advantages. For example, I've been exposed to many areas of design - furniture, interior, industrial, typography - where I would not normally have tread. And I've been really excited about interweaving these areas with baking.

Anyhoos, I'm pretty stoked I got to try this out recently - melding typography with cake art. I don't really think it's been done before (correct me if I'm wrong), and I'm really happy with the results:



 The cake was stamped with individual tiny letters - took me about an hour, even with help!



Flavour: Chocolate mud cake with cookies n' cream buttercream
Exterior: Dark chocolate ganache and white fondant


To put the cake into context, it was an early celebration for my sister's birthday. She was here for a visit, and I wanted to make a special cake for her. Since she's a journalist, and words are her world, I thought a nice personal  letter would be extra special! (Of course, she did say afterwards that she'd expected a "newspaper" cake - psssshh, what, have I got no imagination?!)


This really takes custom-made cakes to a whole new level, no? It's great (I feel anyways) because it's really personalised, and you can put pretty much anything on it - thank you, happy birthday, even a marriage proposal! All to make a significant moment even more unique. Plus I love the fact that each cake has someone's personal journey etched into it. :))

PS. It was delicious to eat my words.

3 comments:

  1. what did you use to stamp the letters? the ganache and little stamps?? It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca

      Thanks for your lovely comments! I used a set of (sterilised) tiny alphabet stamps, and food colouring to create edible ink on a stamp pad. Then I stamped each individual letter onto the cake :)

      Thanks for popping by!

      xo,
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Amazing!:) Have to try this. Thank you so much for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, say hi!